Friday, June 17, 2011

Chainsaw Woodcarving, June 17, 2011

Ok, so I finally had some spare time to finish  a few carvings.. This is me, the Crazy Chainsaw Carving Dude next to a trio of bears..




Here are some close-up photos of the bears..


FRANKIE

 



                                                         ANNIE



SLIM SHADY


Mushroom's amyone ?.. The mushrooms were carved from firewood stock..




I hope you enjoyed the carving photo's.. Each finished carving is burned with a propane torch.. Then coated with boiled linseed oil.. This oil is what wood gun stocks are coated with.. After several days of dry time I give the carvings 2 coats of a deep penetrating weather sealer / UV protectant.. ALL "green" wood carvings will experience cracks, that is just part of their character.. "Green" wood simply means it is not kiln dried wood like you might purchase for building / construction usage..


FRANKIE, SLIM, & ANNIE

 

All my carvings are made from logs that were cut for either firewood, or homeowners removing trees from their property, or off-cutt timber ends from logs harvested for milling boards.. No fresh living tree is cut for the sole purpose of carving, I simply recycle and use what they do not want... The wood is easily obtained and free of charge.. I currently have a nice stock of Poplur, Butternut and various Pine logs..


3 comments:

  1. Well You sure have the nack with a chain saw JP, The three bears are stunning, I can only say i am shocked, But only by how well you have progressed, aAs you havent been doing this style of carving very long at all,
    Very impressive indeed,
    Keep up the good work JP,
    ,,,Paddy,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi again JP, I have put a linky on three of the best forums i go on, So they can come and see your work, May be they will look at your Lures while they are here,
    Good Luck,
    ,,,Paddy,,,

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paddy,
    thanks for the great comments and for posting my blog link to outside sites, I really appreciate that..I decided to continue the chainsaw carving thru the warm season and make lures during the cold months.. So there wont be any new lures to show until after the warm season is over in Oct.-Nov.
    Thanks again,
    John

    ReplyDelete